Chicago Slip and Fall Attorneys
Aggressively Representing Victims Injured in Slips and Falls Due to Another Party’s Negligence
Each year, thousands are injured by slips and falls that often result in a dislocation or fracture. Many times, this is the result of another party’s general negligence. For example, when someone fails to safely maintain their property and a visitor is injured, it can become a premises liability case. This is particularly common in hospitals and nursing homes, where the sick and elderly are especially vulnerable to suffering from falls, dislocations and fractures. If you or a loved one has suffered a fracture or dislocation from a slip and fall accident, it is important to seek the counsel of an experienced Chicago personal injury attorney that can advise you of your rights and help you recover full damages for your injury.
Common Causes for Slips and Falls
Slips, trips and falls happen very often in public areas when the owner or property manager is not keeping the premises safe for those visiting. In Chicago and throughout the northern United States, this often occurs in the winter time because of adverse snow and ice conditions. Some places where slips and falls often occur include:
- Sidewalks and Curbs: Slips and falls often happen on sidewalks because the responsible party has failed to clear snow, ice or debris.
- Driveways and Parking Lots: Snow, ice and storm debris such as tree branches are a common problem in parking lots and driveways as well. It is the owner’s responsibility to keep these areas safe and clean, even if it is a privately owned residence.
- Gymnasiums and Pools: Because of all the moisture in these areas, slips and falls are always a danger that the staff must be paying attention to.
- Grocery Stores and Restaurants: Spills and other acts of carelessness by the staff often put grocery store and restaurant patrons in danger of these types of accidents.
- Construction Zones: Construction areas are dangerous because of all the equipment and debris that is typically present. The contractor must make sure his/her supplies are secured and not lying around posing a danger in public walkways.
- Hospitals and Nursing Homes: Sick and elderly patients inside hospitals, nursing homes and assisted living facilities must receive careful attention to ensure that they do not suffer a fall. Unfortunately, too many medical institutions are severely understaffed, often resulting in the patients not receiving the attention they deserve.
Injuries from Slips and Falls
Dislocations and fractures are often the result of a fall. Injuries can run the gamut from minor fractures to shoulder dislocations to more life threatening injuries. Wrist, arm, hip and leg fractures can usually heal relatively quickly if diagnosed and treated right away. However, a fracture to an area such as the ribs may not always be known right away and can cause other complications such as internal bleeding. Fractures can also occur in the head, neck, shoulder and back, sometimes resulting in severe injuries such as partial or full paralysis.
Falls, dislocations and fractures can result in high medical bills, short-term or long-term disability, loss of income as well as untold emotional pain and suffering. If you or someone close to you has suffered from a slip and fall accident in Chicago, Cook County or anywhere in the country, you need someone representing you that has the expertise and resources to aggressively pursue full compensation for your injuries. At Hurley McKenna & Mertz, P.C., we have been successfully representing victims of accidents resulting from another party’s negligence for over two decades. Contact a Chicago personal injury lawyer at HM&M today for your free consultation. We will advise you of your rights and let you know what kind of case you have against the party that is responsible for your injuries.
For a free consultation, contact Hurley McKenna & Mertz, P.C. today at 312-553-4900 or fill out our online form to have a lawyer contact you.