Contact Us
In the News
Click to Download PDF 4-million-verdict

By Lauraann Wood, Law Bulletin Staff Writer

A south suburban hospital cannot escape liability in a $4.7 million judgment by labeling a doctor involved as an independent contractor, a state appeals panel ruled Thursday.

The hospital pointed to a release form signed by the patient’s son while she was in a respiratory coma acknowledging the contractor relationship. But the 1st District Appellate Court’s ruling on Thursday rejected the hospital’s notion and affirmed the wrongful-death jury verdict in plaintiff Ted Fragogiannis’ case on behalf of his mother’s estate.

...

On December 31, 2015, the Illinois Appellate Court affirmed a $4.7 Million jury verdict against St. James Hospital of Olympia Fields and one of its emergency department physicians on behalf of the family of a 49-year-old woman who suffered brain death in the hospital’s emergency department in 2006.

The suit alleged that on July 9, 2006, a Matteson Fire Department ambulance brought Georgia Tagalos to the St. James Hospital emergency room at 1:45 p.m. Upon her arrival at the hospital, Mrs. Tagalos was grasping her throat and unable to speak due to a severe asthma attack.

Evidence at the trial established it took at least seven minutes for Mrs. Tagalos to be seen by an emergency department physician at the hospital.  By that point, Mrs. Tagalos began to lose consciousness due to her inability to breath.  At approximately 1:56 p.m., an attending physician in the hospital’s emergency department, Dr. Perry Marshall, told a resident physician in training, Dr. Julie Mills, to intubate Mrs. Tagalos. Dr. Mills attempted to intubate Mrs. Tagalos two times over five minutes without success. Between 2:01 p.m. and 2:11 p.m., Dr. Marshall allowed four more unsuccessful intubation attempts on Mrs. Tagalos.  During this time period, Mrs. Tagalos was not receiving any oxygen, and her oxygen saturation level and pulse were dropping rapidly.  By the time Dr. Marshall requested a surgeon at the hospital to come to the emergency room and perform a successful cricothyrotomy—an emergency procedure where an incision is made to the patient’s throat to allow a tube to be passed to the patient’s lungs in order to provide oxygen--Mrs. Tagalos was nearly pulseless and had suffered brain death due to hypoxia (lack of oxygen).  She was removed from life support at the hospital on July 12, 2006.

...

JOLIET PATCH

A year after the Diocese of Joliet released a list of priests who were credibly accused of sexually abusing children, more documents detailing abuse allegations are coming to light.

As part of a legal settlement, the Catholic Diocese of Joliet last year began releasing internal documents related to the accused priest — including files that show that for decades, bishops had been aware of the sexual abuse accusations. More than 7,000 documents were to be released.

Attorney Mark McKenna, whose firm Hurley McKenna & Mertz, P.C. represents 15 alleged victims who have cases pending against the diocese, said a list created by the diocese's review board shows that the diocese has been keeping track of allegations against priests at least since the 1960s.

On Wednesday, files for the following priests were made public:

...

CBS TV CHICAGO

It didn’t take long for the Chicago Archdiocese’s release of confidential files on pedophile priests to lead to a new lawsuit, this one accusing a former priest and a former boy scout leader of molesting boys at the same church in the 1970s.

WBBM Newsradio’s Regine Schlesinger reports, two days after thousands of pages of church documents were released, revealing decades of efforts to hide priest sex abuse cases, attorney Chris Hurley filed a lawsuit on behalf of three men, against former priest Norbert Maday.

Maday was convicted in 1994 of molesting two altar boys while on a church outing in Wisconsin. He has since been released from prison, but is a registered sex offender, living in Wisconsin, according to the National Sex Offender registry. 

...

OAK LAWN PATCH

Lawsuit claims Archdiocese was negligent in protecting children at St. Louis de Montfort from two convicted pedophiles, Fr. Maday and scout leader Tom Hacker in early 1970s. [ . . . . ]

Included in the complaint are shocking allegations of Maday and Hacker’s association and shared proclivity as sexual predators of young boys in what has been detailed as a "tag team of abuse" at St. Louis de Montfort in the late 1960s and early 1970s.

While being sexually assaulted by Maday at St. Louis de Montfort, John Doe #2 purports that Maday began inviting Hacker on youth retreats, where he was sexually assaulted by Hacker as well, the complaint alleges.

...
To Top