Skip To Content
Free consultation Text or call 312.553.4900

Five Dead in Florida Motel Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

December 28, 2010  ·  By HM&M


Fire officials say “five friends are dead likely from carbon monoxide poisoning caused by a running car in closed garage underneath their South Florida motel room.” (AP, 12/27). Police say the teens rented the room on December 26, 2010 “to celebrate one of teens' 19th birthday. ” Unfortunately, a car that needed a jump-start was left running in a garage below the room.

A maid dialed 911 after peering through the window and seeing unconscious bodies. Upon investigation, police found that “a door leading to a staircase up to the room had been left open, and high levels of carbon monoxide were found inside.”

This is a terrible tragedy for all the families involved. As a personal injury attorney in Chicago, I am saddened by this tragedy. Carbon monoxide is a silent and deadly killer that it difficult to discern. Carbon monoxide detectors are a worthwhile investment in all homes, and, especially, in all hotels, motels and other rental properties.

December 28, 2010

Honda Recalls 1.35 Million Fit Subcompacts

Honda Motor Co. says it is “recalling 1.35 million Fit subcompact cars globally to fix defective wiring in the headlights.” (Tokyo AP, 12/16). The recall will affect just shy of 150,000 cars in the United States, as well as over 700,000 cars in Japan. Honda has not released numbers for the European and Asian recalls,... Read More

December 28, 2010

CDC: Seat Belt Use Reaches 85 Percent

Recently, the Center for Disease Control and Prevention released encouraging statistics regarding seatbelt usage. As a Chicago area personal injury lawyer, I am thrilled by the news that seatbelts are used by “nearly six in seven U.S. adults.” (Atlanta AP, 1/14). To put the results in perspective, 85 percent of adults said they wore seatbelts,... Read More

We don't support Internet Explorer

Please use Chrome, Safari, Firefox, or Edge to view this site.