When you buy a product, you have the right to expect that the product is safe. When you use a product, you should not be injured by that product. Unfortunately, unsafe products are everywhere.
At Hurley McKenna & Mertz, P.C., we have achieved substantial recoveries on behalf of many clients seriously injured by defective products, both at home and in the workplace. Some examples are:
- $31,250,000 – (Chicago) Record settlement where a defective product resulted in a severe and permanent injury.
- $1,140,000 – (Chicago) Verdict in a construction accident for a carpenter whose index finger was amputated by a defective Delta table saw.
If you or someone close to you has suffered an injury resulting from a defective product, speak with a skilled Chicago product liability attorney at HM&M right away to discuss your case.
Defective Consumer Products on the Rise
In 2005, the United States Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) reported record-setting trends in the number of unsafe products. Defective products are being rolled out across a wide range of industries with potentially disastrous consequences for the consumers who use them. One of the primary reasons for this trend is failure to thoroughly test the product under the most strenuous conditions to ensure that it is safe for everyday use. In many cases, the manufacturer is motivated to bring the product to market as soon as possible in order to earn back research, development and production costs. Unfortunately, the well-being of consumers who use the product often becomes a secondary concern.
What is a Defective Product?
A defective product is one that was either designed with defects in it or was manufactured or produced improperly. Flawed design or manufacturing defects may result in unsafe products that cause injury to consumers. When a product injures a user, the manufacturer, wholesaler or retailer that sold the product may be liable for the injury. We have represented hundreds of victims of defectively or dangerously designed consumer products.
“”What Hurley McKenna & Mertz, P.C. brought to the table was a calm professionalism. A willingness to personally engage themselves in my progress. And therefore they became part of our journey at that point. They took it on themselves to bear the burden of being our advocate in a way that we couldn’t. They were a big part of the healing process.””
Among the kinds of product liability cases we have handled are:
- Defective machines;
- Construction equipment and appliances;
- Vehicles that rollover;
- Defective cars and trucks;
- Defective bicycles and motorcycles;
- Airbag injuries;
- Boat accidents
- Infant and child automobile safety seats
- Unsafe baby furniture and toys
- Electrical injuries;
- Stryker and other defective hip implants;
- Xarelto claims; and
- Asbestos and mesothelioma cases.
If a defective product has injured you, the first thing you should do is contact the experienced Chicago product liability lawyers at HM&M for your free consultation. We will sit down with you to discuss your case, advise you of your legal rights and help you determine the best way forward to securing full compensation for your injuries.
A Sample of Our Successes
- $31,250,000 – Settlement where a defective product resulted in a severe and permanent injury.
- $1,140,000 – Verdict in a construction accident for a carpenter whose index finger was amputated by a defective Delta table saw. A flaw in the extension table caused the piece being cut to jam and force the plaintiff’s hand into the spinning blade. Tried in U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Illinois.
Read more about these common product liability practice areas:
- Defective Bicycles and Motorcycles
- Defective Cars and Car Parts
- Defective Hip Implants
- Electrical Injuries and Electrocution
- Stryker Hip Implants