Each year, approximately 11,000 Americans suffer spinal cord injuries. The costs associated with this type of injury can be staggering. According to the National Spinal Cord Injury Statistical Center, a 25-year-old person who suffers an injury to the spinal cord can expect to incur upwards of $2.9 million in lifetime treatment costs.
Those are just the monetary costs. Through its successful representation of numerous victims of spinal cord injuries, the attorneys at Hurley McKenna & Mertz, P.C. have witnessed first-hand the overwhelming and often devastating impact of spinal cord injuries. If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury as a result of another party’s negligence, you have the right to seek compensation for these injuries. Speak with a skilled Chicago personal injury lawyer at HM&M that can advise you of your rights and the best way forward to recover full damages against the responsible party.
Many things, including medical malpractice, defective products, physical violence or even a sporting accidents can cause a spinal cord injury, but the most common cause is automobile accidents. In fact, since 2000, almost half of all the U.S. spinal cord injuries were caused by automobile accidents. Other potential causes of spinal cord injuries include:
- Accidents at the Workplace
- Medical Negligence/Medical Malpractice
- Construction Zone Accidents
- Gymnastics and Diving Accidents
- Boating Accidents
- Slips and Falls
- Birth Injuries
- Bullet and Stab Wounds
- Defective Consumer Products
Damages in Spinal Cord Injuries
A spinal cord injury can negatively impact virtually every aspect of the victim’s life. The most serious of these injuries can lead to debilitating long-term conditions such as paralysis. Those who have injured their spinal cord because of the careless or reckless act of another party can seek damages in several categories. These include:
- Medical Expenses: A serious injury to the spinal cord may involve months or even years of rehabilitation. In many cases, the ongoing medical costs will last a lifetime.
- Lost Income: If the victim is no longer able to work, he/she should be compensated for all current and future lost income.
- Pain and Suffering: The pain and discomfort felt by the victim can go on for many years.
- Emotional Stress: When someone suffers a life-altering injury, feelings of sadness and depression often become a regular part of their routine as they struggle to adjust to living with a severe disability.
- Loss of Enjoyment: Victims of serious spinal cord injuries will often be limited in the activities they can participate in. For example, someone who loved to play sports or partake in other outdoor activities may no longer be able to enjoy the things they once loved to do.
If you or a loved one has suffered a spinal cord injury through the negligence of another, it is important to discuss your case with an HM&M lawyer. At HM&M, we have a proven track record of obtaining substantial compensation for victims of these types of injuries. We have handled many different types of spinal cord and other personal injury cases, and can bring the expertise necessary to understand the medical, legal and human impact of these tragic injuries. Contact an experienced Chicago spinal cord injury attorney at HM&M today for a free consultation.