Top Questions To Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer: A Comprehensive Guide
“Do I need a personal injury lawyer?”
If you’ve asked yourself this question lately, then you are likely looking for a lawyer that best suits your needs as a personal injury victim. During your search, prepare yourself with thoughtful questions to ask before, during, and after your consultation.
As a courtesy to you during an uneasy time, we have prepared a list of questions you may want to ask if you are considering hiring a personal injury lawyer.
Questions to Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer Before Your Consultation
When you are doing research in hopes of finding a personal injury lawyer to schedule a consultation with, there are a few questions you should be asking:
- What are results the lawyer has achieved? Take time to do an online search to see if the lawyer’s successes and achievements have been reported online and in the media.
- Do they offer free consultations? If not, how much will this cost?
- Can you provide me with any resources to review in advance of the meeting?
- Will I need to complete any initial consultation intake forms?
- What should I bring with me to my consultation?
- Who should attend my consultation?
- How do you handle personal injury cases, like mine?
- Have you had experience with (name the person or entity you feel is liable)?
Note: Firms may require prospective clients to complete initial consultation paperwork which helps the attorneys better understand your situation and all that is involved. This is common.
Questions to Ask Your Personal Injury Lawyer During Your Consultation
During your initial consultation be sure to ask the personal injury lawyer a variety of questions, such as:
- How much will it cost me to hire you as my personal injury lawyer?
- What is the timeline of a personal injury lawsuit?
- What should I, or shouldn’t I do, when waiting for the lawsuit to be finalized?
- Do I have to go to court?
- How are you qualified to handle my case?
- How will my case be resolved?
- Will my privacy be protected?
- How does your team work together?
- Who will be my point of contact if I choose to hire your firm?
- How often will you communicate or meet with me?
- Are payment plans available?
- How much compensation could I receive if we win?
Ideas to Consider After Your Consultation
After your consultation, consider how the attorney and their staff made you feel…were you heard, understood, and respected?
Then, ask yourself, “Why do I feel I should hire this personal injury lawyer?” Did you feel that they will help you achieve your goals? Do they have a high success rate with cases similar to yours?
If you feel as though all of your questions have been answered and you are pleased with their conduct, the personal injury lawyer you met with may be a good fit for you. The following questions will help you prepare for the next step:
- What do I need to do to hire you?
- What information will you need to move forward and represent me?
- Do you have a secure portal for me to share my personal information?
- What is the immediate next step?
- What should I expect over the next month, three months, six months and beyond?
Top Chicago Personal Injury Attorneys
If you or a loved one is looking for a personal injury attorney, Hurley McKenna and Mertz would be honored to be considered. Our trusted attorneys are ready to help those injured at the hands of another and our team has ample experience and a history of achieving results favoring victims.